About the Opportunity
HumanSignal is seeking an Open Source Community Engineer to support the growth of Label Studio, the most popular OSS data labeling platform for machine learning and AI, with 15,000+ GitHub stars and 12,000+ community members in slack. As the Community Engineer, you will be “Label Studio Ambassador” and frontline technical resource for our open source community, answering questions, fostering communication, making and reviewing contributions, as well as liaising with the HumanSignal support, docs, and engineering teams. You’ll have the opportunity to build relationships with data scientists and ML engineers, contribute to a fast-growing open source project and community, and make a big impact in an engaging problem space.
This is an ideal role to learn and build your career, with opportunities to partner closely with engineering and support, get exposure to the latest AI trends and technologies, and network with leading data scientists and ML engineers in the community. As part of a fast-growing startup in the AI space, you’ll have the opportunities to build your portfolio of technical content and demonstrable success metrics, as well as opportunities for advancement on the community team.
Are you a hands-on engineer or support professional that thrives serving the open source community? We want to hear from you!
Feel free to try Label Studio for yourself.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Owning the community support forums and GitHub PRs/issues, including ongoing community engagement, answering technical questions, making and reviewing contributions, reproducing and fixing bugs, and triaging larger issues for engineering and support.
- Creating or contributing to technical content (blogs, docs, newsletters, demos) that addresses common themes emerging from the community, enabling users to find the happy path for common use cases, troubleshooting, and FAQs.
- Building relationships with open source users, driving engagement and knowledge sharing amongst community members, and identifying opportunities to take our community to the next level.
- A technical background, fully capable of installing, running, and troubleshooting the Label Studio application.
- General understanding of the ML/AI pipeline, GenAI and LLMs, significance of data quality and data labeling.
- An enthusiasm for taking ownership and responsibility, thriving with autonomy.
- Passion for open source, community building, sharing knowledge and helping users solve problems.
- A positive, collaborative spirit, with excellent communication skills, especially when it comes to clearly articulating technical concepts.
- Self-motivated and effective working in a remote-first environment.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience as an engineer or technical support specialist.
Within your first month:
- Gain proficiency with the Label Studio OSS platform and related OSS tools ecosystem.
- Begin responding to users and triaging support requests in the Discourse forums.
- Begin reviewing, grooming, and triaging GitHub issues and PRs.
Within 3-6 months:
- Take ownership of the Discourse forums; begin regularly responding, triaging and reporting on engagement.
- Take point on OSS GitHub issues, responding to and closing questions, pushing PRs to fix bug simple bugs, and triaging bigger issues and feature requests for the product & engineering team.
- Support communication to community, including contributing to newsletters, creating posts in the forum, recording short video demos, and partnering with our technical writer to improve documentation for popular issues.
- Recognize and reward community members and contributions. Drive conversations and engagement with our community members, encourage them to share knowledge and learn new things.
At 6+ months:
- Drive efficiencies: Based on initial learnings, continue to improve and streamline our community processes, reporting, and cross-functional communication with support, product/engineering, docs and marketing.
- Become the voice of the community: identify common themes and issues from the community that can inform product/engineering and marketing strategy. Partner with cross-functional teams to develop relevant content or contribute to PRDs.
- Foster relationships & engagement: Build deeper relationships with community members, learn about their use cases, other technologies in their pipeline. Take our community engagement to the next-level with new ideas and technologies.
What to expect for the i nterview process
- Interviews: You should expect to participate in 5 virtual interviews to complete the process for this role, including a our talent leader, the hiring manager, peers and leadership.
- Exercise: We may ask you to deploy the open source version of Label Studio, complete some tasks, and answer technical questions in a role-play setting. We do not expect a mastery of the application, but we will assess technical acumen, resourcefulness, and communication skills.
It is an exciting time at HumanSignal, we are a growing startup and at this stage we are constantly evolving. While we have put a lot of thought into your first and most important initiatives, it’s only an example and something we will work on together. We're always learning and growing, so like us this role will evolve and expand. We hope that this opportunity sounds exciting to you and that you consider joining us on our journey!
While our community and customers enjoy our products, we understand it is our team who make that possible. That is why we want to support you in doing your best work. To explore more about our team please visit the about our team page.
We hope you are interested in our opportunities and encourage you to apply even if you are not sure you fit all of the requirements. When applying please include: A short document covering of your experience & skills, such as a resume or linkedin profile. If you have a cover letter expanding on your background and why HumanSignal is of interest to you, even better, though a cover letter is not required & will not impact your application status. When we receive your application, we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
HumanSignal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building an organization that welcomes diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. Our goal is to create an inclusive work environment that is equitable and where everyone feels they belong. We foster open and transparent communication and a workplace where discrimination and harassment are not tolerated. If you need any accommodations or assistance to make your interviews more accessible please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
We do not discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences.
At HumanSignal we pay based on regional compensation market rate ranges across the globe. We are hiring for this role across North and South America as well as Europe.