An overview of this role
The Custom Models team is responsible for allowing customers to create and use their own fine-tuned models for use within the GitLab product and beyond. They will work collaboratively with numerous teams to ensure a full lifecycle of evaluating models, fine-tuning models, storage models, deploying models, implementing models as underlying engines behind AI agents, and protecting these models through means of various hosting techniques.
Why us? This isn't just a job; it's your chance to shape the future of AI at GitLab. Your expertise in backend development will be critical to your success. Ready to dive into the future of AI at GitLab? Apply now! We're excited to meet potential candidates like you and welcome a new star to our team. Let's shape the future together!
What you’ll do
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team (“technical debt”), propose and implement solutions.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues.
What you’ll bring
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Professional experience with Python.
- Expertise in machine learning and experience with techniques like transfer learning and model fine-tuning
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
About the team
The Custom Models team is a new team formed with internal GitLab team members from around the globe. Engineers are primarily located across various European countries, with some distributions in Australia, New Zealand, America, and Canada. This team is growing, and there are currently 7 positions available.
The team works closely with these other teams within the organization:
- AI Framework
- Model Validation
- Duo Chat
How GitLab will support you
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.